Due to circumstances entirely within our control we are not opening today. Have a great day off and see you next week.
Only a few more days left to Coolest Projects on Saturday May 26th.
Its shaping up to be a great day. CoderDojo Dun Laoghaire has a great representation, rumour has it the largest of all the Dojos in Ireland! Well done everyone.
On the day there’s over 14 fun filled activities for kids and parents alike – take your pick from
– ToG Soldering and Lock picking
– Turtle Stitching
– LED Cube
And there’s some great speakers and panels covering topics such as teaching your kids good Digital Habits, the challenges of teaching technology subjects and how to keep girls interested in STEAM!
And there’s even an Experiential Area where you can do some hands-on workshops!
If you have registered a project then one Parent or Guardian is also automatically registered. Additional parents or guardians that want to come must also register. Remember to avail of your free ticket here and using the code CPFREECD
And finally don’t forget our Ninjas will be showcasing our very own Project Scorpion. Here’s a teaser – check it out at CoolestProjects!.
Hope to see you there!
A new version of Scratch is coming this August!
3 Things To Know About Scratch 3.0 (from the MIT Scratch Team) –
1. Scratch 3.0 will have more ways to create and share
- Create, share, and remix projects on tablets (in addition to laptops and desktops, of course)
- Choose from dozens of new characters, backdrops, and sounds
- New paint and sound editors make it easier to remix and manipulate characters, music, and sounds
- With the new extension system, children can program physical devices (like micro:bit) and web services (like Google Translate)
2. Scratch 3.0 will have new support for getting started
- New in-editor experience for first-time users
- New bite-sized how-to videos
- Updated Scratch Activity Cards and Educator Guides
- Updated Creative Computing Curriculum from our friends at Harvard ScratchEd
- Updated tutorials from our friends at Code Club and CS First
3. Scratch 3.0 is still the Scratch you know and love
- All existing projects and accounts will continue to work in Scratch 3.0
- All existing programming blocks will still be there (and we’re adding some new ones!)
- Scratch 3.0 will be translated and available in many different languages
- The offline versions of Scratch 1.4 and Scratch 2.0 will still be available
- Scratch will continue to be free for all!
As noted on our home page, CoderDojo Dun Laoghaire runs during term time!
So we are now on our Easter break, with Sunday sessions starting up again on 8th April, and Wednesday sessions restarting on 11th April.
Thanks to all our wonderful mentors for the time they give to our ninjas – looking forward to seeing everyone back in April.
To our fabulous ninjas, a reminder that registration for Coolest Projects closes on Sunday 25th March – make sure you’ve got your entry in before then! Register by clicking this link
Happy Easter everyone!
Recently, at the Convention Centre in Dublin, world-famous psychologist Dr Bob Rotella gave a talk entitled “Good is the Enemy of Great“.
Some of the things he said included the following thought-provoking statements:
“… many of you decide that good is good enough for you, or is acceptable for you, or is enough for you – you’ve given up the chance of ever being great at whatever it is that you do.“
“The point is, this is your life, and what are you going to do with it?”
Pioneers is a digital making challenge for 11- to 16-year-olds in the UK and Ireland. Find a team of up to five equally awesome thinkers and makers, and an adult to mentor you throughout the challenge.
Closing date Friday 1st December