The eir Junior Spiders is Open for Entries.
Entries for the eir Junior Spiders
are now OPEN!!
Both eir and CoderDojo are looking forward to see innovative projects you have been working on! All entries for the eir Junior Spiders received before Friday 26th February 2016 will go into a draw to win a brand new Microsoft Lumia 535 Phone!
Entries Close Wednesday March 9th 2016.
The deadline to complete the application is 9th March 2016. This application is open to Irish Dojos only.
If you have any queries please contact Ailbhe Cooke directly on:
Using Scratch allows students to develop creative and critical thinking, problem-solving and communication skills as they work collaboratively or individually on Scratch projects.
In operation since 2010, the National Scratch Competition has established itself among both teachers and students as a leading platform and showcase for Ireland’s aspiring digital creators.
Entry is open to individual students and groups of all ages.
How to enter:
1. Register your details now on scratch.ics.ie. Please note that you will need to re-register for this year if you have not already done so.
2. Design & create your project at www.scratch.mit.edu. This can be a game, animation, story, simulation or music project.
3. Once your project is complete, upload your project URL and student details to enter the competition at scratch.ics.ie. (Please note when entering your project a direct URL link must be entered to be judged)
4. Entries can only be accepted if they are accessible via the Scratch website atwww.scratch.mit.edu. Offline projects must also be uploaded to this website also.
Dates to Remember:
Register your interest: Now!
Submit your entries by: 12th February 2016
National Finals: Thursday 28th of April 2016 in RDS
For more information visit scratch.ics.ie or if you have any queries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
DLR Lexicon is running a free
How to make an Animation Workshop
from 3 – 5pm, Saturday 13th February
Project Room, Level 3 (beside the Gallery), dlr LexIcon
Artist Aideen Barry will lead an animation workshop where you will learn how to make an animation. See your work come to life and bring your first animation home with you!
Book through this link
Well, everyone was a winner really, it was a fantastic day at the Coolest Projects in the RDS on 13th June, with about 650 ninjas showing off 500 projects!
We were especially pleased to have two winners from Dun Laoghaire, with Lexi Schoene receiving the RTE overall Design Award, and Fionan O Ceallaigh receiving an Openet Innovators Stage Award.
There are some great photos from the CoderDojo Foundation available by clicking here.
We particularly like this photo of CoderDojo Founder James Whelton with Fionan
and this one of Lexi being awarded her prize onstage 🙂
We have a lot of photos from the day and hope to get these uploaded as soon as we deal with a little technical issue!
Some press coverage:
Irish Times: Child designers crack the code at CoderDojo awards
Seven-year-old wins overall prize in design category at Coolest Projects Awards
Tech Central: CoderDojo Coolest Projects Awards brings out best in young programmers
Silicon Republic: CoderDojo’s Coolest Projects showcases young coders’ skills
Aine Behan of Cortechs has forwarded information for anyone who wants to follow up on last week’s session by purchasing the game and headset:
We have limited places available to get access to our first game at an Early Bird discounted price. Normally we would be charging €150 for the game and headset, but we are making it available to you, the Elite, for just €80!!!
So what are you getting?
- Cortechs’ first ever 2D runner game called ‘Zip and the Misty Mountain’ where you, the user, will use your powers of focus and relaxation to access special powerful moves (see Zip below!)
- Your very own brainwave sensing Neurosky headset
- You become part of our Exclusive Cortechs Community, where you will be first to be notified as our games and platforms become available
- You will also be the first invited to be part of any Coding Event to work with us and our in-house Game Developers on our future games
And what do you need?
- Android Tablet with Bluetooth
- €80 (plus €7 P+P)
- The power of focus and meditation to get Zip to the top of the mountain
- An AAA Battery for your headset…..and you’re good to go!
- Reply to me by Monday 15th June at email@example.com to let me know if you’d like to avail of this offer
- We’ll send you out an invoice and info on how to pay
- The game is launching later this month and we’ll send you a code to redeem your game and can deliver your headset to you by post.
Any questions? Just drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Dublin Animation Film Festival is dedicated to showcasing short animated films by Irish and international animators, holding industry related events and introducing the joy of animation and creativity to children.
The 2014 Festival will take place on the 17 and 18 October in the Dún Laoghaire Institute of Art, Design and Technology (IADT) and the Pavilion Theatre, Dún Laoghaire, County Dublin.
There will be two two plasticine modelling workshops at the Festival. The workshops will take place on Saturday, 18th October 2014 at Unit 341, Level Three, Dún Laoghaire Shopping Centre.
Workshops are suitable for children aged 8+. A parent or
responsible adult is welcome to attend.
2.00pm – 3.00pm – Make Your Own Gromit plasticine modelling workshop.
3.15pm – 4.15pm – Make Your own Gromit plasticine modelling workshop.
To book a space at the childrens’ workshop, please register at
The cost per child is €15.
Pre-registration is essential as places are limited.
For more information see here: www.dublinanimationfilmfestival.com
Sometimes we are asked if we know anyone in CoderDojo Dun Laoghaire who is buying or selling a laptop. If you want to buy or sell, send in an email and we will put you in touch with someone if possible.
This is only for CoderDojo Dun Laoghaire people, and obviously all we would do is put a buyer and seller in touch with each other; we would have no other involvement or responsibility!
This may be of interest to anyone who would like to learn python – the first two modules are free.
They also have an upcoming competition which is open to everyone.
Thanks to Niamh Scullion of CoderDojo DCU for the tip!
But we’ll be back again in September!
Current members will have the opportunity to sign up for the next term at our session on 11th June, so be sure you make it!
NOTE – COOLEST PROJECTS Saturday 7 June:
If anyone is going to the Coolest Projects in DCU this Saturday, please make sure you have booked a ticket – if you haven’t, there may be some available through this link: http://www.eventbrite.ie/e/coderdojo-coolest-projects-awards-tickets-11538727645