Call for Mentors
At a CoderDojo session, young people learn how to write code, develop websites, apps, games and more. Dojos are setup, run by and taught by volunteers. All this is completely free to participants.
About 50 kids come to each session to learn about web technologies and programming. Topics include Scratch, Python, AppInventor, HTML/CSS, Micro:bit and Arduino/Raspberry Pi.
We are always looking for extra Mentors to join our team of volunteers, to help the kids learn and come up with new ideas. It’s a great opportunity to get involved in a fun, creative, and worthwhile youth movement.
CoderDojo Dun Laoghaire started in January 2013. We run two weekly sessions:
- Wednesdays 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. IADT (Carriglea building)
- Sundays from 10.30 a.m. to 12.30 p.m METNS (Primary School Hall)
Sessions normally run during school term times; we take breaks over half-term, Christmas, Easter and the summer holidays.
If you have any coding experience or other skills that would be useful to CoderDojo, are aged 18 or over, and would like to apply to become a Mentor, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Your name
- Your email address
- Your mobile number
- Your residential address
- Preferred session – Wednesday evenings 6.30-8.30 or Sunday morning 10.30 to 12.30
Note: All volunteers will undergo Garda E-Vetting, and will be required to supply proof of identification (in 2 formats please) and address.
ALL PROSPECTIVE MENTORS NEED TO READ THE CODERDOJO IRELAND CHILD PROTECTION POLICY BEFORE COMPLETING AN APPLICATION.
ALL PROSPECTIVE MENTORS NEED TO START THE GARDA VETTING PROCESS WHEN FIRST JOINING THE GROUP.
The Vetting process:
- Step 1: Print, fill out & sign (by hand) the Vetting Invitation Form (NVB 1) in the link above. Produce proof of ID (Photo ID & Proof of Address dated within the last 3 months) to the Champion/Child Protection Officer in CoderDojo Dún Laoghaire.
The Champion/Child Protection Officer is required to keep evidence of ID verification should your application require further investigation. Ensure you cc’ in your Champion to this application.
- Step 2: Scan and send your signed Vetting Invitation Form (NVB1) and your proof of ID (Photo ID & Proof of Address dated within the last 3 months) to email@example.com with the descriptive subject in the title (e.g Joe Bloggs Vetting Application 01/02/2017). Ensure you cc in your Champion to this email application.
- Step 3: CoderDojo will send you an email with a link attached inviting you to complete the rest of your application online. You have 14 days from the date you open this link to complete the rest of your application online.
- Step 4: Once submitted CoderDojo will review your application and submit it to the National Vetting Bureau.
- Step 5: The National Vetting Bureau will process your application and forward your disclosure to CoderDojo. An email will be sent to you from the National Vetting Bureau, informing you that your disclosure has been viewed by the CoderDojo Foundation and a copy of your disclosure will be made available to you upon
As soon as reasonably possible the CoderDojo Foundation Garda Vetting Liaison Person will contact your Champion to notify them of your passing of the eVetting process.
IF YOUR APPLICATION IS INCORRECT OR IS MISSING INFORMATION IT WILL BE DELAYED
Applications that are submitted correctly can expect to be processed within 3-5 working days.
Delays can be expected around peak times such as August, September (when Dojos normally resume in Ireland).